Monday, July 16, 2012

My Disaster of a Life.

Last week I had a most wonderful and desirable vacation trip sans kid and dog to the beautiful island of St. Lucia.


HA! ...in my dreams.
And then there was a tornado and we had to take shelter and I had to carry my child out of the zip tent-like room, where he was getting soaking wet from rain, into the shelter room while he was still sleeping in his pack n' play. Then right before the storm hit, the mom of the daughter I was babysitting came home and said we needed to leave. Right then. During the storm.

Oy.

In a weird way it might be kind of like my life lately.
I must admit, while I may seem perfectly happy and hunky dory on the outside, on my inside there is a seriously turbulent storm going on.
Today is not the day for details of that.
Just know that home to me does not seem like home much at all anymore. Except for the house.
I'm not talking about my current home-home with my hubby and our baby and his puppy.

Moving on.

Literally, moving.
This is what my life has been for about 2 weeks now:




We're moving.
Can you tell?
I hope so. Because if I was really this messy I'd probably die and never come back.

Why yes, there are two pairs of heels on the ground because I can never decide what to wear to church until the last possible second before walking out the door.
Anyone who knows me should know that I really hate living in a messy home.
For more than 2 days.
It drives me crazy. Psycho. Insane.

 
And when my kitchen looks like this?
Chicken nuggets,  pasta, cold cereal, and whatever else takes 2 minutes and 2 dishes or less to prepare.
Unless it includes chocolate.

If you've never played Puerto Rico, I highly recommend it.
Better yet, come over, but not today, and we'll teach you how to play.
But beware, you will probably lose to Mr. Man because he is Puerto Rico extraordinaire.
I really hope your house looks like this when you move.
Please just nod your head and agree that it does.
It will make me feel better.

Knick Knacks.
Junk.
Clutter.
This shelf is a prime example of reason #428 Why I hate moving: the knick knacks that don't fit into any other category so they just sit there and clutter your counters and floors until you finally toss them all in a box to figure out later.


An old phone case, a lint roller, some glasses cleaner, sunscreen, and glow sticks? Seriously.
Can't I just throw it all away?


Instead of bravely attacking the filth, I am cowering in the corner of a clean table with my laptop, some ice cream, and a cup of water.



And just in case you didn't get the full effect of our lack of food, 
Exhibit A:

Anyone have a recipe with soy sauce, apple juice, sour cream, and olives? 
Nobody?

You may also be thinking "man, she really needs to clean her fridge!" 
Well, it's true. I really do need to clean my fridge.
And my oven.
And my dishwasher.
And my microwave.
And my sink.
And my counters.
And my bathrooms.
And my whole apartment actually.
Would you like to help?


Instead of buckling down and getting to work, I decided to have a nice, big, bowl of this:


I feel better now.

And see this?
My pre-lunch snack.
A from-scratch, fudgy, chocolately brownie, chock-full of chopped oreos, layered with peanut butter then a marshmallow fluff/peanut butter icing.
Rich, heavenly, chocolate in your mouth.

And finally, because of those sinful indulgences, I've been doing lots, and lots of this:


One day Mr. Man unexpectedly surprised me with some sweet running shorts.
But since I can't pay full price for anything, we shopped around later that day and found these "on sale" (mis-marked and price honored). 
Amen. Hallelujah. I love running shorts.
I logged 17.9 miles last week, 6.5 of which were while out of town, I'm proud of myself.
Now if I can just learn how to eat like a runner, we might start making progress...

Please enjoy your Monday, everyone. 
And be completely, utterly, unmistakably, proud of me for pictating and blogging my disaster of a life. 


I think I need a nap.








5 comments:

  1. Let me tell you we have moved 6 times in the past 4 years and my house ALWAYS looks like this. And we eat out wayyyyy too much in the process. Too bad we don't live anywhere close to each other because we love Puerto Rico and any other game that has a strategy to it. And when i say we i mean Trevor, i just go into it knowing I will always lose. lol Good luck moving! it will be worth it when everything is unpacked and put away. Sorry i probably shouldn't have brought that up because personally I think unpacking is worse than packing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! That does make me feel better. I think I've only won Puerto Rico once. Scott is just way too good at it, and other strategy games too. But it's fun to play and see if I can beat him. I'm excited to unpack, but yes, it sucks too! Especially when you get down to the "what do I do with this?" stuff.

      Delete
  2. our house often looks that messy and we're not moving anytime soon!

    moving is super stressful. the ONLY good thing about it is that it forces me to re-evaluate what is worth keeping every few years! hahaha. sometimes it feels really good just to chuck a bunch of stuff. it's amazing what accumulates after awhile.

    my cell phone is still busted but give me a call on my home phone. i'm pretty sure i can come over tonight and help clean if you want. when do you need to be out of this apartment and when are you able to get into your new one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! You are fantastic! Keep on goin, girl!!

    Wow, Nicole's advice is good! 6 times in 4 years!?

    So at the end of last October we had been looking for a deal on an apartment in town. We finally found it, had to jump on it QUICKLY, and pack everything up and move in 3 days. Yikes. We also had company coming 2 days after we moved, and I was throwing N's first bday party the day after that. AND I was completely anxiety-ridden and in the middle of intense counseling for my PTSD. Our house looked like that. My brain felt like what I'm sure you're brain feels like right now!

    Just know that moving to a place that's better (as long as you're renters, right? It's kind of nice to move around with very little strings attached!) is ALWAYS worth it! We got 200 more square feet like you're getting, on-site storage the SAME SIZE as the storage unit we were paying for (turned out to be bigger), and a garage with lots of storage space. OH, and I have a pantry and a linen closet, which I didn't have in the last place! And twice the number of drawers in the bathroom! And Nathan's closet and room are twice as big!

    It's so worth it, girl! You will LOVE playing house in the new place! I can't wait to see pictures! Turn that frustration into excitement, don't worry about how much ice cream you eat, feed your kid whatever for a few days, and all will be well :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1- Yaay for new workout clothes & running shoes! And for chocolate. In my mind, the two are inseparably intertwined. Exercise and chocolate, that is. Unfortunately, in my case, heavier on the chocolate right now...

    2- My fridge looks like that, too! Except dirtier. And except the contents include: olive oil, moldy vanilla pudding, eggs, whole milk, and ketchup. Eew.

    3- I'm pretty sure Jim could kick Scott's butt at Puerto Rico... I can hold my own, but usually lose at the end. We should get together & play it, just to prove my theory.

    4- Is Bubs hiding in a box somewhere in your apartment? I didn't see any photos of him, but I coulda sworn I saw him peeking out of one of those boxes :)

    Oh- in other news, Jim has decided to go to Med School. I know, lame to tell you this in a comment on your blog... it's a pretty recent decision that has been several years in coming about. His job here at A.G. is getting too big, while our housing is getting too small. Among other things. He is thinking of becoming a Physician's Assistant but that may change :)

    ReplyDelete