Friday, July 6, 2012

A lesson in dipping chocolate.

This year on the Fourth of July, hubby and I spent a few minutes chatting about our past Fourth's. I know you're just dying to read a recap, so here ya go! You can thank me later.

1st: We were in Twin Falls at the Dodds annual 4th of July BBQ bash. We spent the morning at a pancake breakfast and kid's parade, the afternoon playing on a giant bouncy house water slide, and the evening grilling burgers with extended family. After which we, of course, lit off an abundance of fireworks. It was the perfect way for me to be welcomed into a new family.
2nd: We invited as many of the Dodds in Utah over to our "conjoined" house, I'll spare the details, and once again fired up the grill and fireworks. Hubby played grill master for the first time and loved it. I played hostess and chef with all other side dishes. We had a wonderful time and even saw the Stadium of Fire fireworks show while parked under an overpass on University Ave. We flipped a U-ee the second it was over and beat all traffic home. Another fabulous fourth. 
3rd: This time we were in a new town. Thankfully, St. Louis is party capital Midwest, at least in my opinion. I coerced my parents into coming for a visit, so we grilled it up with them, then hauled the crew to the Arch to visit Fair St. Louis. So awesome!! We saw the last half hour of the air show, walked around to all the booths, enjoyed a free concert from Montgomery Gentry, and saw the most spectacular fireworks show I've ever seen, all under the Arch. It was glorious and thrilling. I also saw more people crowded and smushed together than I've ever seen in my life. Seriously, walls of people. It was insane. So was traffic. I try to forget that part. 

This year was our 4th Fourth together and we stayed a little more low key, but still had a great time. 

The morning dawned bright and early at a whopping 8:30 am, the latest we've slept in since....well, probably since we had a baby. It was lovely. Then I whipped up an amazing breakfast of french toast, bacon, and scrambled eggs. Bubs and I took a leisurely walk around the oven neighborhood, and within minutes we were hot and sweaty in the balmy 99 degrees. During his nap time I threw together a lovely masterpiece of dessert. And this is where your free lesson in dipping chocolates comes in:

Do NOT add water-based food coloring to melted chocolate!!!!!!!

Why?
Because your beautifully smooth, creamy, nice and melty, chocolate will turn to a stiff frosting right before your eyes. 
I must admit, once I got over the horror of what was occurring, it was a little cool to see the consistency change so fast. 
In the end, I ended up with cake bites that were not so lusciously dipped and smooth, but rather more of a unique, sorta gloppy, almost frosted looking cake bite. I was only slightly disappointed.

Oh yeah, and gel food coloring is just as much water based as liquid. 

So, now that I learned the hard way, I know if I want pretty, colorful, cake bites, I have to splurge on the pre-colored dipping chocolate.
My life is complicated.
Here's my creation!


After I finished the cake bite disaster flag, I moved on to my next endeavor: pie.
Now, I have absolutely no idea where my sudden desire to be cutesy and festive came from, but evidently, I had a strong desire for such.
A quick search of google images prompted me to make a star on my pie.


My other pie was really cute too, for no apparent reason, but it was not patriotic so it didn't make the cut. Or maybe I didn't take a picture. Who knows. Use your imagination.
I must say, this fruity pie was quite spectacular. I found my all time favorite pie recipe from Our Best Bites, and I haven't looked back since. Especially because it is just so darn versatile. I mean, the same base for a vanilla cream fruit pie as for a chocolate peanut butter banana? Mmmm.

Have you ever tried putting a 2 year old and an 18 month old together for a photo shoot?
Don't.
You won't have any luck. 
I can almost guarantee it.


They had no desire to look at me when I called their names.
Or clucked.
Or chirped.
Or danced around like a crazy woman.

My awesome friend made this creation with fruit. It was so fun to have such festive food!

My child + water = endless fun and happiness
Especially when a hose is involved.
Except for the poor onlookers, (sorry!)
Oh yeah, this is also the only picture I got all day where he was actually looking at me and holding still. 


They most definitely enjoyed spraying each other and waving the water everywhere.

These kiddos really love playing together.
They're pretty awesome with each other's names too.
All day Bubs was saying "Na-nuh?" and when we arrived he knew exactly who "Na-nuh" was!
She also used to call him "Buh-lake" and it was about the cutest thing ever.

We enjoyed BBQing and playing water balloon games with some good friends. It was our first Fourth without family, but when you make good enough friends, they sure feel like family! 
It was also the hottest, driest, most fireworks-less Fourth I've seen, but I was happy to watch the Macy's day display on TV. I know in the future we will be in a position where hubby won't have to study, baby won't have to sleep, and fireworks will be legal (and not banned due to drought!), so we can have even more fun!

For this year, we still had an amazing day!
If you just read this entire post, please, give yourself a hug and go find something more productive to do. 

teehee, Happy Summer everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Those cake pops look awesome! I love your pie, too. Send me the recipe!

    ReplyDelete