Monday, July 9, 2012

Apartment Dwelling

There are a few major perks to living in a big apartment complex.

1. Anything that breaks is only a phone call away from being fixed, and you don't have to foot the bill.
2. There is usually free access to a nice gym, pool, tennis courts, basketball courts, etc.
3. There's lots of people which is good for: people watching, feeling un-alone, and noise.

Okay, so maybe that last one is not a major perk.
But for me sometimes it is.

You see, I really enjoy people watching. I enjoy creating a life story or background on someone. Have you ever sat in a restaurant and narrated other diner's conversations? It's actually quite fun, and entertaining. Especially when one girl shows up with about 16 guys. That really happened once.

In honor of us moving to a new, big, apartment complex in less than 10 days (should I start packing yet?), here are some of the unique characters that dwell in our cul-de-sac.

Short, awkward, grey-haired Grandma. This lady really is quite nice. But also rather awkward. Mostly because her huge dog tried to eat my puppy and bite my baby one afternoon yet Grandma is still convinced he wouldn't hurt a flee. She wears bermuda shorts or capris with black ballet flats and round, wire, glasses. She drives a baby blue Hyundai and got upset when the Frat Boys were picking someone up and blocked her parking space for two minutes.

Frat Boys. I'm not entirely sure how many occupy one apartment. Sometimes I see one, sometimes I see three or four. They're not overly loud, except when they have a window open at lunch time and belch deeper than the ocean. It was only a little gross. They can often be seen hanging out by their car, drinking beer, and skateboarding around. At least one or two of them have girlfriends that enter, or exit, the apartment at random times, most recently seen exiting at 7 am dressed in his clothes. Hmm.

The Hispanic Couple. I haven't actually really talked to these folks, but we've shared a wave or a brief "hello" in passing. They seem like nice people. However, they have a dog that is quite literally taller than their waist. They are both pretty short. The dog is beautiful, but also very strong and somewhat scary. Both them and us are a little wary of their dog eating our puppy, so we keep our distance when out for a walk.

The Interesting Kid. We had only been living here for a short time when a random kid, maybe 12-14 years old, struck up a conversation with me:
"Do you have internet?"
yes.
"Can I come use it?"
Why?
"To check my email."
You're going to have to ask your parents.
"Well, my mom isn't home, and my dad grounded me..."
Then I'm sorry, you can't use it.


Or something like that. It was pretty awkward, very odd, and a little bit hilarious. He can be seen riding his scooter around the cul-de-sac or on his bike in the neighborhood. I haven't talked to him since.

The Couple Next Door. I really actually like these people! The live directly across from our door and have a small, wiry, dog that I can't remember the breed of. For the longest time we weren't sure if they were married, dating, roommates, or siblings. We don't know their names or their relationship status, but we now assume they're dating. She is really nice and very friendly. He likes shooting guns and works as a security officer somewhere. I think.

and our favorites:

The Car Salesman and Pharm Rep. To be honest, we have no idea what their actual occupations are, but based on their appearances, this is who they are to us. He is so friendly and very nice. He always strikes up a brief conversation in passing and he drives a beautiful suburban *drool*. She is always, always, always, dressed to the nine's, and usually not skanky. But also not modest. Neither of us had seen someone pull it off so well, but she seems to, which is why she's a Pharm Rep. Also, I've never talked to her. They used to have a dog, but she was put to sleep from old age and a tumor in her brain that made her blind.

As you can see, Mr. Man and I are SO, super outgoing and overly friendly and gracious to anyone we don't know!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahaha, we're really not.
In reality, we are very friendly and very nice people, but I think we're also both shy when it comes to meeting new people and striking up conversations. Weird, right?

Right. But you don't have to agree with me.

Bubs is the most friendly and outgoing of all of us! He never fails to wave and say "hi!" to anyone and everyone, including empty cars. He also has been known to run up to complete strangers and hug their leg.

I can't wait to see what our new place brings us!
Hopefully less dog poop, less smokers, and better grass.

3 comments:

  1. I feel like I left part of my heart in our first apartment complex! We were there for 2 years, Mitch worked maintenance there while going to school (so we learned to take pride in an otherwise run-of-the mill, typical apartment), and we were best friends with our porch neighbors. It's so weird leaving an apartment; it's not like selling a house or something, etc. Just different. Good luck with the move!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! Probably because I love people watching too, and making up people's life stories in my mind. And making up funny conversations that other people are having at the mall at lunchtime. And I have 2 babies that will randomly hug people's legs, or shout hello to everyone that passes by. (I also have a 7-y.o. who usually still just scowls at people who say hello to her when they pass by, whether she knows them or not... we're still working on some of those people skills...)

    I didn't know you were moving- yaay, that is exciting! I hope it is a really great move for you. I always think it is exciting to move and start out fresh in a new place, although I am usually sentimental about the place I leave (there have been exceptions, I promise you that!) It's a great chance to de-junk, at least it would be for us... I can't believe we are on our 9th summer here at A.G! Whoa.

    ps- I just found out that Madi will be going to Hillcrest this fall, in the a.m. session. I don't know who her teacher is yet but I will let you know when I find out. Wish you were still there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you? Good luck with the move. I have tried to find you on facebook. Are you there? If so find me. LaurAnn Headman Miss you. Do you want a job? We are hiring someone part time. Could be fun. Might be a bad commute though. Take care.

    ReplyDelete