Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Nostalgia of a Midwest Summer

Hot, humid, concrete with the faint whiff of smoke at dusk.
Sun baking skin.
Chlorine drenched hair.
Basking on a boat.
Ice cold fountains. Lukewarm pools.
Greasy pizza and a movie inside air conditioning.
Lighter fluid.
Ashy charcoal, brats, burgers, lemonade.
Watermelon.
Windy mid-mornings, stormy afternoons, sunny evenings.
Eerie calm before the storm.
Brightest blue, Greenest green, Sharpest sharp, the morning after rain.
Sunshine at 8 pm.
Warm, steamy, night.
Hot dogs, funnel cakes, nachos.
Peanuts and "root, root, root, for the Cardinals!"
Pink cheeks, sweaty hair, and baby sunscreen.
Cicadas at dusk.
Hot, humid, air, that can be cut with a butter knife.

Midwest Summer.
Oh, how I love you and can't wait for you to arrive.

July 2011

2 comments:

  1. Karissa! You are making me sooo excited to move back to the Midwest! 9 more months! 9 more months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess after living in the desert my whole life, the thought of humidity so thick you can actually taste it is... well... not too appealing. I just love my B&BW cherry blossom lotion too much to live somewhere that I would sweat it off before 8am. But- lemme tell ya, I'm SO ready for BBQ weather!

    I'm also hoping that my kids have outgrown their fear of thunderstorms. Nothing like being woke up at 2am by screaming children jumping onto your bed. We get some a-MA-zing thunderstorms up here in the mountains. The house literally shakes from the power of the thunder & lightening bouncing around the mountains!

    ReplyDelete