Friday, November 20, 2009

Audi problems

Well this Audi of ours is going to be the death of me. Of course our car is broken again, when is it not broken. I knew some of the things that needed to be fixed on it so I decided that I was going to have one of my friends help me and I would fix it myself. Our front brakes were going out so we got the parts and started working and actually it wasn't too hard as long as you have all the equipment. I changed the brake pads and rotors in under two hours, and then proceeded to give it a tune up and of course we had to put in new spark plugs (I remind all of you that the most I had done on a car before was change the oil). It was really fun to learn how to do different things with the car. I then had to take it into a muffler shop to get a part welded back on to the bottom of the car which wasn't too bad. With all of the repairs we did on it, the car remains broken. Pretty much in its same condition. I took it into a shop and they told me that the rear cv joint is torn and that Audi's cv joints are not serviceable and so I would have to get a new rear drive train. Well a new one is $1100, and a used one is $400. I have also been told that I need several other things to be fixed right now. It is all so frustrating and I don't know what to do. I want to fix it all so that I can have a car that works and drive it into the ground, but I am wondering if it is already in the ground. I can't really sell it here in Utah because even if we fix the drive train it won't be able to pass safety and emission. We would love to sell it to someone in Kansas because it doesn't require safety and emission which would be great, but how do we get it to Kansas if we can't really drive it? It is all so frustrating because I was trying to fix the car in order to get it to Kansas for Thanksgiving. Well that is our life in a nutshell. So much going on right now it is driving me crazy!

Scott + Karissa

P.S. We love you all

3 comments:

  1. Yeah.... we finally just donated our car to the Kidney Foundation, at least that way you get more $$ off it than selling it for parts, etc. because you can write it off on your taxes! Good luck with whatever you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Karissa, I'm so sorry! That stinks! Let me know if ya'll need anything... even a ride. And we need to hang out!!! We'll call you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry! I guess you can count your blessings that you have two cars now, right? I know gas mileage was a plus with this one vs. the Jeep, but still: you'll be able to get home!

    our car needs CV joints too, two in the front, and Mitch is putting it off...i'll let him and his dad do it one day :o)

    Good luck! I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete