Friday, May 17, 2013

Hair and Makeup Faves

So when you're 9 months pregnant, there's not a whole lot you can do to make yourself feel attractive.
And actually, it may start even earlier than that for some!! For me it did.

If you've been pregnant, you know how it goes... None of your cute clothes fit. You get tired of the same 4 maternity shirts. You get sick of wearing the same skirt or yoga pants each day. You start seeing stretch marks and extra cushioning in new places, etc etc. I know that I have a hard time feeling pretty when these things start happening!!

However, two things changed this pregnancy...

1. Good Hair
2. Good Makeup

When I was pregnant with Bubs, I thought it was a "great" idea to dye my blonde hair back to brown. With a box. In the winter. When I couldn't possibly be tan. Bad idea. The color was flat, I looked washed out, and I felt worse. Eventually, after some time, I got it back to blonde, but it took awhile. I also never really wore great makeup. The combination of the two was not awesome.

So when my birthday rolled around a month before my due date, I decided to spend my money on non-clothing items, more specifically, good quality makeup. I can't really say what made me want to do this, but I was tired of my old makeup, tired of poor eye shadow colors, tired of cheap drug store mascara, tired of $1 eye shadow that didn't last, tired of eye liner that smudged off by 2 pm. I did some research, talked to some friends, and went shopping.

Wanna see what I found?

1. Urban Decay Cannonball mascara
A friend recommended this mascara, and when I walked in the store I heard the employees talking about it too. I asked, and they highly recommended it. I have not been disappointed! It lasts through tears and showers, so I imagine it'll stay on at the pool too! It also makes my lashes look long and beautiful, which I've been needing! Love this mascara.
Urban Decay - Cannonball Ultra Waterproof Mascara

2. Urban Decay Naked 2 palette
I originally thought I'd purchase a palette for less than ten bucks. Then it didn't have good reviews, so I searched a little bit, asked some friends, and tested things out in the store. I could not believe how buttery soft and smooth this eye shadow is! Not too mention the high pigmentation. I got the original Naked palette and decided the colors were a little too warm for my skin tone and preference. So I exchanged and got the N2. I love it. I use it every single day and every single time I'm impressed, and I feel pretty!! Plus, it's super fun to try new combinations every day. It's a pricey palette, but I imagine it'll last me for several years, which is worth it. Also, individually, each color is about $20, so really it's a steal.
Urban Decay - Naked2

3. Benefit, They're Real! mascara
I received a sample of this mascara at the store for my "birthday gift." The first time I tried it, I literally gasped and my jaw dropped. The brush bristles grab your eyelashes and really make the mascara stick. I've never worn a mascara that truthfully looked like I had false eyelashes on. This one does (I used a couple coats). It also has tremendous staying power, thought it's not technically "waterproof", it sure acts like it is. The only reason I like the Cannonball better is because the texture and feel of the mascara on my lashes by the end of the day.
Benefit Cosmetics - They're Real! Mascara

4. Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner.
I also got this eyeliner as a sample with my other purchases. I have been seriously impressed! It stays on better than any eyeliner I've ever worn except the Mac Fluidline eyeliner (in a pot). Though this is not technically waterproof, it also stays on very well and doesn't smudge easily. 
Urban Decay - 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil


I have realized after purchasing and using these higher quality makeup products that cheap makeup is pretty worthless. I always thought I was saving money by using cheap mascara, but in reality, I couldn't ever find one I loved, so I'd toss the bottle halfway through and buy something else. That adds up!! The only one I sort of liked was half the size of the Cannonball and half the price, so, essentially equivalent. I also realized the $1 eye shadows do not stay on well and don't look awesome even an hour after application, so you use more time and product re-doing and re-doing your makeup all day. It makes sense to me to spend a little extra on something higher quality that lasts longer, looks better, and makes me happier!!!

....I'm sure some of you who have already figured this out are giggling. I'm still learning here :-)

Now back to the hair. 

After that last bad hair dye job I did when I was pregnant with Bubs, I swore I'd never go brunette again, and I've kept true to that promise! It is truly amazing to me what a difference a fresh highlight can make in the way you feel. I feel lucky to have a good friend who lives right below us that does hair. And she does an amazing job with blonde, which I'm really picky about. So when she called this week and offered me a special opening to throw some highlights in before the baby came, I jumped all over it! I didn't realize how bad I needed color until I saw the end result!

As far as hair products go, I'm no expert in that realm. I bounce between cheap stuff and expensive stuff, depending on timing. If I had a bigger wallet, I would certainly use Pureology 100% of the time. My friend uses it when she does my hair, and it always looks and feels amazing for days without washing. No other product has done that. 

All in all, having good hair and good makeup can really make a girl feel better about herself! At least for me, especially when I'm pregnant. Now that you know some of my favorite products, what are some of yours?

2 comments:

  1. love it! and i totally need to buy "real" make-up. i don't even technically have any cheap make-up left right now. i love reading reviews of things before i make purchases. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know a lot more about hair and make up products. I don't dye or highlight because I never want to have it grow out and people compliment my hair when I get it cut so I figure I'm good there, but as far as make up goes I'm at a loss. I know how to put on a basic natural pallet due to my sister who used to be a mary kay rep and going to a few mk parties in college, but all in all I'm impressed that you have more creativity and ideas about other ways to put on and mix and match more than 4 shadow colors. Jealous :) And you are gorgeous girl, and always will be. Don't let the negative self-talk get to you.

    ReplyDelete