Monday, June 10, 2013

40 weeks, 4 days, and 27 hours later

He is here!
Kyson Wade Dodds.
7 lbs, 11 oz, 21.25 inches long
May 24, 2013 at 5:06 pm.



Sometimes things don't always go as planned, expected, or hoped for. 
Such was the case with this labor. 
As some of you know, I debated back and forth whether or not to be induced. This was not a decision I took lightly. In fact, for weeks I prayed, searched the scriptures, studied Conference talks, and received multiple Priesthood blessings from my husband. I really had no idea what to do.
It all came down to the night before. I had received an "urgent" call from my doctor's office with someone saying that I must be at my appointment the following morning or at my scheduled induction. I felt very unsettled because she gave me no indication as to whether or not something was wrong. 
That night I received one more blessing from my husband. As we discussed what was said, I understood clearly that I was not going to get some lightning bolt inspiration of what I should do. But rather, that this was MY choice. And that I needed to make the decision. The process wasn't completely about patience, faith, trust, but really about coming to a decision and knowing that I'd done the things necessary to know I made the right one. 
That night I decided if I wasn't in labor on my own by my induction time, I would go ahead and be induced. I felt confident and satisfied with my decision.



At our doctor's appointment before the induction, he made me feel very calm and at ease about the whole process. He was confident things would be perfectly fine. He also made it clear that nothing was wrong, he just knew we had thought about induction and had us on the schedule just in case, but that he felt very comfortable with me waiting it out too. 

Around 1:00 pm, we were finally in our room and got things started. They started Pitocin about 2:00 pm on Thursday. Things progressed very, very slowly. Sometime overnight, my doctor decided it would be a good idea to break my water. I was a little wary, but Scott reminded me to trust his judgement, that he is a very skilled doctor and knew what was in our best interest. So we did. Labor continued to progress slowly, but I had an amazing nurse that was very patient, informative and helpful. She even unhooked me from all the monitors so I could take a shower and see what my body did on it's own. When the contractions dropped from 3-4 minutes apart to 15 minutes apart, she brought me a turkey sandwich, pudding, crackers, and peanut butter even though she wasn't supposed to. We hooked everything back up and went forward with renewed hope. 




Eventually, the contractions started to get very intense and I finally entered active labor. Unfortunately, our amazing nurse was off shift and a new, less than stellar, nurse took over. After 22 hours of Pitocin with no pain medicine, over 30 hours of awake time with no sleep, and very little food in my stomach, I decided something needed to change. The Pitocin wasn't doing anything but making my contractions very intense, then slightly less mild, and very intense again. I was not getting any break between the intense contractions and my body simply refused to relax. 
We all decided an epidural was needed in order for me to rest and relax so I would have enough energy to push when the time came. 
After getting the medicine, the room became much more calm. I felt much better and I knew I had once again made a right decision. I knew I had done all that I was capable of and I had learned what I needed to learn.



Once the epidural was in, baby Kyson was ready to come within about 4 hours. The delivery was wonderful! With Blake we had a NICU team, my doctor, a baby nurse, my two nurses, my parents, Scott, and a handful of residents/interns/students watching. 15 people at least. Bright lights and lots of eyes.
With Kyson, it was my doctor, my nurse, a baby nurse, Scott and my mom. Scott asked if the lights needed to be on, my doctor asked if I wanted them (of course I didn't!), and said we didn't need them. It was very calm, quiet, and intimate. I pushed for 30 minutes and he was out!
The best part of the experience was when I felt his head descending. I asked if they could see his head and they said it was partially out. My doctor asked if I wanted to touch it, so I did. I have never felt such joy, excitement, and energy surge through my body as I did when I felt the baby's head. After that it was about 2 more pushes and he was here.




They laid him on my stomach immediately and let me cuddle with him. Scott was able to cut the cord and I was able to try and start nursing right away. All things that did not happen with Blake. Kyson was really calm and looked around at everything with bright, wide eyes. He didn't peep when they took his measurements and wrapped him up. It was really so incredibly calm.    

Within a couple hours we moved to our recovery room. The rest of the hospital stay was very enjoyable and we had fabulous nurses. 


During the whole experience I learned so much. 
I learned that I am far stronger than I ever thought I was. I can honestly say I was shocked at my ability and strength when handling the intense contractions. I really had made up my mind that I was having this baby naturally and that I could do it. Unfortunately, things changed that prevented it, but I was also able to realize when I needed to change courses.

I learned that God is very aware of the details of our lives. He provides us with information when we ask, but then He also wants us to make the decision. He's a perfect example of a perfect parent. 

I learned that I can do hard things. I learned that having patience is essential. I learned that my body doesn't respond well to pictocin and trying to "force" a baby out. Now I know with our next baby that I really can wait and that all will be well. It's not a race to have a baby. 




Overall, the whole experience was wonderful. Yes, there were difficult moments, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I am grateful for the things I experienced and the knowledge I gained.

I am also especially grateful to have a very healthy baby!!!





All my "kids" wanted to be near me.


Blake absolutely loves his brother.





6 comments:

  1. so sweet! what a beautiful story. i'm so glad everything ended up working out for the best. i want to come and see you and the baby before we move, but i know you've been dealing with thrush. whenever you're feeling it up to company, just let me know! he's a cutie pie. :) you did good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a beautiful person, Karissa! Congratulations and yes, you are strong! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story, Karissa! I've been checking every so often to see if you had posted an update. I hope you guys are finally feeling better, too!

    I'm so glad the whole experience turned out so well in the end. And thanks for your comment about how it isn't a race to have a baby. Sometimes I start feeling like this baby needs to get here RIGHT NOW so that I can make plans, etc. But I know that right now is a special time, the last few days (weeks?) I will get to carry this baby inside me. After that it all changes. I'm excited for the change, but nervous too. Is it possible to feel just as nervous your 5th time doing this as the first or second? I certainly think so! I actually went into the hospital with "false labor pains" last week. And found out that it could easily be another 2-3 weeks before this baby comes, even though I am progressing (just very slowly) and having Braxton-hicks contractions at the slightest movements I make...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE reading birth stories. You are SUCH a trooper for laboring as long as you did without the epidural- I definitely couldn't have done it! What a beautiful reward!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! He is so perfect and beautiful! It's so good to see you, Scott, and your children together. What a beautiful family! Love and miss you... Like, a TON!

    -Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. By-the-way, looks like you're going to have to change the name of your blog, now! ;)

    ReplyDelete